Featured News
AssassinColorSm Xevoz-liscious!
July 15th, 2010

Its time to come clean with a basic fact about the Dynamo team. We miss Xevoz.

Circa 2002, Ben Hitmar and I began working with the Stikfas team in Singapore. What an amazing group of people.  It was a collaboration that had a huge impact on me, both professionally and personally. Not long after Tuck came on board and the future Xevoz team was set.

At that point, I was a Senior Director of R&D at Hasbro, 9 years into an amazing career. Having worked on everything from Star Wars to Batman to Pokemon, admittedly the ‘mass-market’ way of doing things had steadily crept into my psyche. Nothing bad about it, but mass leads to certain solutions and alternative leads to another set of solutions, primarily because of scale.

Working on Stikfas was a treat, but when we started to create Xevoz (originally called Evo), it was like eating pie for every meal. The original goal was just to be an ‘aged-down’ version of Stikfas. True to its name, it evolved and became something much more, especially to those of us who worked on it. It allowed us to back away from the rigidity of a traditional property. The characters didn’t have a permanent personality or origin or even a name.  They had a ‘job’ and a known place in the zeitgeist, but YOU got to decide what they were really all about.

A conversation during a typical day went something like… Wayne- Okay, we need a new elemental guy. Tuck (or most times Ben)- What about magma? W- That’s cool, we can do some crusty rock texture painted on top of a nice tinted clear. T- What’s his job? W- Tough one… What about something Hawaiian to go with the volcano theme? Surfer? T- Yeah, he can surf the lava flows as they come down the side of the volcano. Maybe he’s like a sacred, carved rock at the very tip of the mountain and as the volcano erupts he comes to life. W- Sweet. He needs some rocky looking Jam’s shorts and maybe a lei for his funny part. T- Sounds good to me! This is abbreviated, but every Xevoz conversation went something like that.  The sky was the limit and our imaginations soared with the opportunity.

Every day was amazing, but the best days were when we got a box of  ‘first shots’ (pilot parts that are the right shapes, but not really tuned-in to fit or function properly) from the factory. You’d have an entire wave of figure parts sitting in front of you.  No paint, just raw potential like a bag of Lego’s with no directions. We’d sit for hours trying parts within each kit first and then trying parts across kits to see what fun we could create. Anyone who has ever sat with a pile of Xevoz parts can attest to the amazing flow state that you enter, propelled by the realization of one small epiphany after another. Giddy comes to mind.

It was in these hands-on sessions that the personality, openness and opportunity of Xevoz started to take shape. A DIY philosophy, born in Stikfas, that fully took hold and developed a life of its own. From the start of the second wave, we talked as much about how new parts could expand upon the total part library. The novel functionality of the parts became a more significant part of defining the play value of each kit. After a while, anyone who wasn’t involved in the day-to-day discussion, lost the reference point for why we were doing some of the things we did. We were in a zone and a bit off the traditional map.

It wasn’t all fun and games. Well, in truth, they were two different things.  On one side was the fun and the other side was developing the game. Its easy to be hard on the game, but it was a different kind of fun. We had some great game designers, Jim and Bill, to help us design the mechanic. It was a really fun game. Applied to a different product, it might still be selling like hotcakes. The only issue is that Xevoz the toy didn’t need it.

Why the game was added is lost to history. Games were very fashionable at the time. I was also working on Beyblade and Pokemon, so I don’t recall fighting the idea much. Hell, I may have suggested it. It was a decision that leeched a lot of our time, messing with part names and stats, creating and checking labels, and rereading instruction sheets over-and-over. We produced some beautiful game boards. In my mind, none of it could compete with the thrill of the build system and the open-source nature of the IP.

What set Xevoz apart, and what people still don’t understand is that it was built on ‘guidelines’ and suggestions, not rules. Who were we to name the characters or tell the stories? That was for the users to do. The characters were all from different, but familiar regions and were members of races that were easy to understand. You almost didn’t have to tell the story, because you already knew it. That ‘open-sourceness’ was completely counter intuitive to everything I had learned (and was radically unlearning) from licensed brands .

All the best things I know to be true about toys, culture and creativity, I learned while I was on Xevoz. Mostly, I was reminded of the stark differences between action figures, characters, and toys. In the figure biz, I think we’ve forgotten that they aren’t all the same thing. But then again, most times you’ve got a huge property to bring those characters to life.

In a world full of other people’s stories, where can we find a simple medium to express those characters and stories that come to life in our own minds? I’ve got a little stash. Best of luck in finding your own.

Here’s a smattering of Xevoz goodness.

Viva La Xevoz!

69 Comments

1. Ben says:

well said, well remembered.

2. Josh! says:

Hot damn Wayne…this takes me back. This line is till one of the most innovative and FUN toylines of the last few decades. I loved every single minutes of it…and I wish the ‘Bro would have given it some more time to build…

Josh!

3. B H Tey says:

We share much of the thrills when we see the designs or get our hands on the kits halfway around the globe. It is such irony that the love of a product line by those who buy it and those who make it seems to be lost in the hands of those who sell it.

4. Fett says:

sigh, this brings a tear to my eye:’) I love these toys. its all true, I miss this line.

5. Sean Moore (Squishee Slinger) says:

This is THE toyline that ruined me on all others. I used to collect Star Wars, Joe, Pokemon, Muppets, Batman, Invader ZiM, The Tick, Justice League, Transformers and LEGO. Now I collect nothing. Mainly just because nothing has been or can be as good. Xevoz was the action figure that could be anything you wanted if you only have the imagination, opportunity and the money to snatch them up. I have made countless customs and stories for the ever growing factions and new races I’ve added along the years. The three 20 gallon Rubbermaid tubs I have of these toys has supplied me and my kids with many memories of endless fun. They all four still get excited everytime I pull those parts out and dig for hours looking for that perfect part to complete their creations. I maxed out a credit card or two to buy so many and I will never regret it. I just regret I didn’t get more and didn’t have the opportunity to see more people get into these lovely shards of pure plastic brilliance. I thank you from the bottom of my heart on the 4 gnarly waves of pure imagination we got to ride.

Good show men, good show.

• wayne says:

Thanks for your part! We wouldn’t have made it to 4 waves if it wasn’t for the diehards who were maxing out their credit cards, putting out the 411 whenever they saw extra sets or getting them in the hands of people who couldn’t find them at retail. People sincerely wanted that line to succeed. There just weren’t enough to keep it afloat until it got a toehold. The mass market can be a fickle, hard mistress.

6. Ben says:

you know, this makes me want to unveil the Armored Griffin…

7. Sean Moore (Squishee Slinger) says:

It makes me want for you to unveil it too, Ben. LOL!

Did Hasbro ever think of using the Xevoz system and style to their other properties like Joe, Star Wars, Marvel, or Tranformers? I know they wouldn’t have been as special but if the line could have lived on and maybe got more acceptance and play with those devout collectors I wou;d have liked that? Beside I would have taken those kits and added them to my custom parts library.

8. James - Crazybirdman says:

Sean said it very well, this was THE toy for me. I stil play with LEGO, but that’s about it. I feel sorry for my kids, knowing they will never be able to have the joy of these awesome figures! (‘Cause they sure as hell aint playing with mine, haha) Skeleflex, extractasaurs and others have tried, but don’t compare.
    If Hasbro, or anyone for that matter, gives it another chance, put me down for a case of wave 1!

• wayne says:

Funny you mention Skeleflex. Ben, Tuck and I worked on them, as well. Not as broad a concept, but it was fun in a different way. I was really sad when they produced them with a different ball size. We lobbied to match the Xevoz ball/socket size.

9. Ben says:

-just realized that saying Xevoz play was based on guidelines, not rules, is just how the pirates follow their code!

10. This was a great read, and I’m glad to know the things I took away from the line are the same things that you were discovering and built into it during its creation.
    Yes, I didn’t care for the game, and wish the plastic could have been used for something else. Yes, having a toy untethered to a license or story left unlimited possibilities. “What’s his job?” I love that about Xevoz! They or I should say the idea and concept of Xevoz has inspired the hell out of me and has defined my view on toys. They exist as some master class for people who study toy design. Nothing compares. It truly is the best action figure line ever. Wow, that full line up shot is so great. I’m staring at it wishing the unreleased ones were in my hands. I think I actually have a better idea of what that knuckle piece is thanks to that epic Omega INferno Guard picture. – Thank you guys.

Glad you stopped by.

So much of what we did was built upon the Stikfas promise, but we aimed to turn up the heat on the core mythologies in our society and fandom, in general. Each idea lead to another small story in our heads. There we times that it felt like we were willing the stories into being psychically (but mostly by the little surprises and care we were putting into the figures). When people started grooving on them and speaking back to us about those little touches, it made it pushed us to continue to try new ideas. We were really hitting stride right about the time the line got pulled.

11. Alberto says:

Thank you for sharing your insight and memories creating Xevoz kits. Truly the best toy line in recent years. I am really happy I managed to collect a full set for myself and stocked up a few spare kits to share the experience with the kiddies. Even use a couple of the kits as reference manikins in some of my drawing classes.

12. Grayfox says:

Xevoz is the only toy line where I felt I just *had* to have a complete collection. Actually, it’s more like three complete collections. And that’s not counting the two plastic bins filled with I don’t know how many extras I’d use to create or customize pretty much any action figure I imagined. The posts above this one sum up very well why we all love Xevoz and still discuss the line up to this day. Thank you guys for what is the best toy line out there.

I like Xevoz so much, I use one of my Battle Transporters as a lunch box. With all the compartments, it’s great! Ok, just kidding ;)

• wayne says:

We thank you for being such a huge fan. Its great to see that so many of you from Xevolution have shown up in support. We would stop by quite often and see what you guys thought as you opened the new kits. It was like seeing each kit through new eyes. It was amazing to hear comments about things that we barely even vocalized to ourselves.

It was a great line. I keep waiting for someone to pick up where it left off, but I don’t think anyone caught on to what made it great. Tuck and I have even considered trying to license it from Hasbro and put it out ourselves. Its frustrating for us to know what was coming in waves 5 and 6 and not being able to get it into people’s hands. Maybe someday.

13. Grayfox says:

Wayne
    glad to know that you guys visited the Xevolution board to see what we had to say about the kits as they were coming out. I like to think we weren’t too hard on them =)

One quick question about the brand itself and you guys thinking about licensing it from Hasbro…in 2010, years after Xevoz’ demise, how strongly do you think a company like Hasbro might be holding onto the license? Do they even have reason to keep it for themselves?

• wayne says:

Every once in a while there were some harsh comments on the site, but we also knew that people just wanted it to be great. An ‘open source’ mindset allows that people will have strong opinions. Sometimes things made it out the door without a final check of function. With so many parts to check, it was hard to be sure.

Xevoz was owned by Hasbro, but the build system/invention was Stikfas. There is a lot of heart for Xevoz inside Hasbro. Because of its own specific nature, I think its a hard project to rally support for- ‘failed’ at retail and ‘I don’t get it’ are two conceptual ‘speedbumps’ to it ever coming back. I know that they have an interest.

14. What’s to stop someone from licensing the build system from stikfas, and then matching the ball socket size?

I wish James May would do a Toy Stories episode on Xevoz.
    Youtube it.. great show.

15. squishee slinger says:

This is the thing I just don’t get about Hasbro. Why shelf something whose nature is so great and earning potential so unlimited? They have like 4 evergreen boy properties to fuel it (Joe, Transformers, Marvel, Star Wars, and some lessers like Indy) that is made in the same scale and minimalist style like Xevoz was in would probably explode with collectors and kids if marketed aggressively. These name brand licenses pull them in and toys themselves keep them. I think the think that made xevoz flounder a bit was the lack of advertisement, lack of recognizable name brand characters to pull in some sales and some people didn’t understand it was a fully customizable action figure system. Some even got hung up on it having a game element and figured that’s all it was. I just know that even if focusing on properties instead of fresh new characters we the fans could and would create our own from the vast new supply of parts generated. I’m not sure why they couldn’t see the coolness of interchanging cool parts between Darth Vader, Destro, Optimus Prime, and Wolverine to make a lot of fanboys and kids dream toy line and maybe we could get some all new “Xevoz” Xevoz in the mix as well.

I’m not sure you guys can now share all your plans were for future toys but if you could we’d definitely love to hear them. We’ve been teased and had clues dropped to us at Xevolution for years. We’d love to know the specifics behind names like Helioarcher, Attacknid, Goregoyle and others.

• wayne says:

Squishee- Having worked in the biz for quite some time, I know that licenses aren’t a silver bullet. What you are talking about may have worked for a fan-based sales pattern, but it wouldn’t last for long and may have made it worse (retail expectations would have been higher, etc.) What we were after was something for kids that was in the vein of Lego. Stikfas already catered to the older fan. The greatest struggle in media right now is telling the difference between ‘heat’ and ‘meaning’. Something that relies on being hot most likely will not be meaningful- its two different dynamics. Hard to do both and people mostly think they are the same thing.

One bad choice in figures for a licensed-based line (for example, putting C-3PO in the first wave) would have sunk the whole wave with how many would be left on the shelves. The one thing I’ve learned about the toy biz- its an art, not a science.

16. Xevoz was easily my favorite action figure toy line and there isn’t a week that goes by that I don’t wish for a resurrection.

It was tragic how the Xevoz seemed to be, I’m sorry but SABOTAGED by Hasbro. It was stomach turning how these toys appeared to be relegated to pure word of mouth. I don’t remember ever seeing any advertising regarding these toys. Today I own about 50 pounds worth of them (pounds in weight not UK currency) and another 20 or so unopened packages in case anything breaks. So far nothing has.

17. Squishee Slinger says:

Okay Wayne, thanks for the clarification. I don’t know anything really about the toy biz other than what they talk about on the general toy boards I still visit from time to time, but I still try to find ways that could make a revival of these toys in some sort of shape and form plausible as a long running line. I really want some new Xevoz somehow, someday. I guess it’s a fool’s wish, but I keep holding out the dimmest light of glimmering hope.

18. Grayfox says:

I think that Steve’s question a few posts up about having someone license the build system from stikfas and then matching the ball socket size is a very good one.

• wayne says:

Sorry for the dead air- we’ve been at Comicon all week.

Having given this a lot of thought, it makes the most sense to work with Hasbro in some way to bring it back (ie. license it from them, or petition them to bring it back). The main reason is scale and investment- for a smaller company to copy what Hasbro did would take a lot of capital unless they just started from one kit, the way that Ban was able to start Stikfas.

That takes a lot of fortitude and especially capital. By working with Hasbro, you have access to all the old tooling especially waves 5 and 6 which never hit the shelves. It would take a company equal to or larger than NECA to be able to pull it off in the way that you appreciated it.

There are probably some hybrid options, but ‘starting over’ would be the most problematic and expensive.

19. Squishee Slinger says:

I think the question we would have to ask before that is Stikfas even still a viable company and what happened to the creator? Was it J Bany or something like that? Didn’t Stikfas just disappear mysteriously without a word like 2 years ago or so?

20. Squishee Slinger says:

I don’t want this thread to die. I would like to learn more from the masters of Xevoz!

21. BigFella says:

Hard to believe it’s been five years gone already. I was just a hired hand on the Xevoz ranch, but I’ll testify that there was a lot of awesome being channeled in the creation of that line. I’m with Tuck, Wayne, and Ben in regretting that folks, particularly the hardcore fans, couldn’t get their mitts on some of the guys we were working on for later waves.

The impression I got from the team was that we were really hitting our stride by Wave 4, and I’m glad at those made it out. (Frankenpunker is perhaps my personal favorite of the whole line, and that says a lot ‘cos they’re all awesome.)

On the subject of the Xevolution boards, one of the funniest things to me in my lurkings there was the HUGE discussion (or, to be less polite, huge argument) that broke out over what sort of bear Ursa Khan was going to be, which segwayed into a further wrangling over whether a panda was a bear or not.

Now that Wayne has put up his picture in the line up can it be told… Pandas ARE bears, but Ursa Khan was not.

Truth!

B.J. Johnson

22. Squishee Slinger says:

LOL, I was actually deeply involved in that argument with a poster named Secter. Awww… the good old days. I would have rather had a bear (panda or not) over a barbarian. None of which matters now, I suppose. I’d love to have gotten any of them over the alternative. BTW, anyone know what that is on Ursa’s right arm? Was that going to be some kind of bear claw weapon?

• wayne says:

It must be his claw weapon. His ‘job’ was gladiator, if I recall, but his genre was obviously barbarian/pict. I think his funny part was a pot belly.

We saw Neo’s as the ‘techie’ race. Since they didn’t have cool animal and energy parts most of their snap on stuff had to be cool. The goal with this guy was to create a ‘tech-barbarian’. Incongruous mixtures usually lead to something fun.

23. Grayfox says:

I’m not sure if the designs for Wave 5 were finalized, but I’m curious what their gag pieces were. Those were always funny (A mummy eating a chicken leg; hard to beat!)

• wayne says:

I don’t remember many of them. I think the Rockahuna had some jams shorts. The warlock had a familiar tophat head (which to me was just cool, not necessarily funny). I looked at the Rockahuna and Netgeist package pics on Deviant, they don’t give me any hints. Other than Ursa’s pot belly, thats all I can remember.

24. Kenneth Pike says:

My Xevoz collection is something I still show off on occasion. Kids immediately love it and my graphic and industrial design friends always ask where I got them and where they can get some. I’ve seen some of the pictures of Wave 5 over on the Xevoz forums and I’m sorry they never made it out.

25. Squishee Slinger says:

I keep hoping some kind folks will share some new details and/or pictures of what was planned before the line was canceled. Hope surges through my veins like giant radioactive rubber pants! Do not ignore my veins!

• wayne says:

Sorry we were off at Comicon. I realize that you guys are hot to know some of the inside juice. We tend to maintain good relations with Hasbro through both consulting and design projects, so we tend to be a bit tight-lipped about anything confidential. As far as I can tell, most of the details of wave 5 have already made it onto the net.

Anything in wave 6 and beyond is off limits at this point, but we can probably fill in a few details about ‘public’ characters. Sorry to be a tease, but its the nature of creative industries.

26. Squishee Slinger says:

I forgot about Comicon. I hope that went well for all you guys. Thanks for taking time to answer questions, Wayne. Forgive me if I make too many inquiries on all things Xevoz, I guess it’s a love that just won’t go away.

Did you guys have plans to eventually add more races like we saw with the addition of the Arcasters and Reptasaurs? I know I saw an online interview before the line launched that said there would be 12 tribes or races. That might have been bad info or a typo but I’ve kind of liked that idea of an expanding universe with Xevoz. I myself have made two new races with my customs: Aquattax are water based creatures and I also created an alien faction called Ethereals. I though a faction with mythological creature might be cool as well but that might be a bit redundant depending on how broad the Unnaturals and Arcasters were going to be.

• wayne says:

Comicon was great. It always reminds us that we need to start putting out some of our own content/ideas. Its amazing how much you see at the show. I think it just becomes harder for small companies to cut through the clutter. The hype machine is in overdrive.

There we definitely 12 races at the beginning. We needed to be smart and make sure that our ‘buckets’ didn’t overlap and all made sense (to us anyway). If memory serves they were aliens and an ‘atlantean’ kind of faction. We played it loose with those last two, most to have in our back pocket when we started running out of ideas. They weren’t really worked out other than maybe a couple of rough sketches of what could work.

27. Grayfox says:

Xevoz guys please correct me if I’m wrong; I remember reading on the board, from wacommonkey I think, that there were going to be 12 or 13 races originally. It got cut down to what we know, but there were plans tor a possible aquatic race had the line continued.

Did you guys spot any cosplayers dressed as Xevoz characters? =P

• wayne says:

We didn’t see anyone dressed as Xevoz characters, but its really hard to pick individuals out of the throng. Its easier when you are out of the hubbubb, on the street, etc.

The market is really fragmenting and stakes are getting really high (i.e. all the big companies are casting a shadow over the smaller guys which are really doing the fun, new ideas. The show has become a ‘shouting match’ of sorts.

It really does recharge our batteries to see what’s going on. We are living in the future.

28. Grayfox says:

Wayne:
    I’ve never attended Comic-Con myself, but just by looking at pictures, I understand what you mean when you say the big companies try to get all the attention (and succeed?). I imagine that at some point, if it’s not profitable for smaller companies, most will spot attending. That would be sad. Just to clarify, when I say profitable, I don’t mean only money, but creatively and socially as well.

29. Grayfox says:

And a now a mandatory Xevoz question!

I was wondering what you guys thought of the marketing Hasbro did for Xevoz. Not the quantity, though. We all know it wasn’t enough. I mean, what about the quality of it? I’m talking about the comic book that was made (and given at Comic con if I recall correctly) and also the tv ads for the toys. Those were done with stop motion and I thought it was awesome work. Did you guys get any input on the marketing side at all?

30. nate00x says:

Every few months or so I’ll remember about my Xevoz and get them all out and I’m just flooded with memories and the creative juices start flowing. I had so many backstories for characters and races when I was collecting them. It’s hard not to fill in all of the blanks for yourself when presented with a concept like this. You guys did such an awesome job and I cannot tell you how jealous I am of you guys getting to work on the creation of Xevoz. I’ve recently been trying to snatch up some of the ones I could never find in stores, but it’s hard to find some of them on ebay. I would love it, like go totally berserk if you were able to somehow continue Xevoz after this hiatus and give us Mech Shell, Warlock, RockaHuna and all the other ones we don’t even know about. …especially Mech Shell though. I try not to hold my breath, but I do dream of a Xevoz return.

Thank you for that group image so we could see what some of the unreleased would have looked like.

-nate

Nate,

Words can’t explain how fun it was to work on Xevoz. The core concept of the line was so broad and rich that, as a toy designer, it was like getting to use every color in your palette, mixing custom colors as you went. I haven’t worked on anything as gratifying since. The group image is nice to see (especially nice, since its HUGE in our gallery right now- not sure how all the images got resized).

Good luck on your quest for wave 5. It was the best wave by far. We were hitting our stride when it all shut down.

Best,

w.

31. nate00x says:

Wayne-
    Thanks for replying. Everyone who worked on Xevoz seems to be just a group of great guys. You can see your enthusiasm for the line (and toys in general) from beginning to its untimely end. One of the things I love most about Xevoz is exactly what you said, using every color and making up new ones as you go along. It’s like you just thought to yourselves… “hey what’s cool? ninjas are cool… bugs are cool… cowboys, vampires, robots, monkeys, skeletons …et cetera…” You seriously took everything that kids think are cool and made toys of those things and then let kids build their own versions of them. Truly inspiring. And of course by saying “kids” I don’t just mean kids…
    You keep saying you were really hitting stride at wave 5, but I think Xevoz were brilliant even back with wave 1. Skull Jack is the reason I got into Xevoz and is still one of my favorites. I think one of the best testaments to Xevoz is that anywhere you read about them online, people keep repeating that they were the best toy line ever. Will Hasbro bring them back? Probably not. We hope so, but it just seems highly unlikely. Maybe they would work better as more of a specialty toy marketed more for the older audience with a higher price tag. I mean look at how much people are willing to spend on ebay. People crave Xevoz.
    Wayne, thank you and your team for giving us the best toy line ever.

32. Jake says:

This is a great article. I have to say, I love Xevoz, and I have my full collection predominantly on display. The love you guys put into the line was amazing and it shows. Thanks for all of your work. I love the deign of each and every one of the figures. I just hope someday to be able to own the “lost Xevoz” of waves 5 and beyond, though that may be a long shot. Hearing how hard you guys worked on it makes me want to get my hands on them even more.

As for a comeback, I’m not too optimistic, but I see one of two ways. One, you guys, or someone else could likely easily snatch up the Xevoz license, especially now that Stikfas appears to have gone out of business. Then you could produce a smaller, collector-focused line, as has been suggested. I would not hold out for Hasbro to make a collector based-line, as in my experience, they do not really focus on that.

The other option would be for Hasbro to relaunch, jettisoning the game aspect,and positioning the line with a television series, which should be easier now that Hasbro has its own TV network. All the molds likely, exist, and they have sat on the Xevoz url this long, that they could relaunch from the beginning with little new investment, save what is spent on the series. Sometimes, I wonder if this is a plan Hasbro has in mind for the line, given its cult status, and Hasbro’s lack of word about the subject, but it’s just not a priority for them at the moment.

Anyway, thanks for the memories, and thanks for making something so cool and enduring.

Jake,

Glad you stopped by and thanks for the kudos. Sometimes I think about how great it would be to bring it back, but then I think that all the same market conditions are in place that force it into a niche endeavor- which would be fine by me, but probably not quite as fine for Hasbro. The Stikfas scenario complicates things more, but it is still a post-modern concept, more about the user than the property itself. Very uncommon in today’s figure category.

I know a bunch of guys still at Hasbro that would love to see it come back as well. I guess we should keep our fingers crossed.

Thanks again,

w.

33. Revenant says:

Best – Toyline – Ever.
    I don’t know how much you’re allowed to say about unreleased figs,but here goes. . .
    From my understanding, Ataknid and Earth Mover weren’t going to be full figures but extra pecies for deluxes Net Geist and Rockahuna, respectively. What I’d like to know is if these two ‘characters’ were originally designed, in concept, with full bodies or weather only certain parts of them were designed with the sole purpose of being add-on pieces. In at least Ataknid’s case,I find it hard to imagine that a full spider Sectoid would never have seen release. A bulldozer mech is one thing, but there are so few Sectiods and the spider, being perhaps the most iconic of the’creepy crawlys’, seems like he would have been a definite must.
    Also, would the toyline, had it continued, have ever gotten a full spider (or bulldozer mech)produced?
    I have a lot more questions. Would it be okay if I posted them here?

34. wayne says:

Revenant-

From my recollection, the spider was only a partial design to fill the package. The themes were chosen to compliment the themes of creepy net zombie and lava/earth elemental.

More than likely we would have created a full, but different spider design, but from my memory, the insects didn’t always sell as well as other kits.

As far as other questions, I can answer things about figures that have made it online, but anything in wave 6 or beyond is still confidential, doubly so, because we still do a lot of work in the industry.

35. Zack says:

I loved these things when they first came out, and had I known that they wouldn’t last very long I surely would have collected more, anyway I have a question. My question is, will they ever release these in retail stores again? I don’t have quite enough money for buying kits online, and I’d love to see them again.

36. Chaos says:

I hope someday this will come back the xevoz line is probably the best toyline ever.

37. Revenant says:

It’s nice to know that a spider kit had a good chance.
    You mentioned that the Sectoids didn’t sell as well as other races. What factors determined the amount of figures produced for each race? By wave 4, there was a very uneven amount of figures from the original six races. Was it just that races like the Neo Sapiens and Unnatural sold better than Hyperfuries and Sectoids, or was it that you and the other designers had more, or stronger, ideas for certain races?

• KidMechano says:

When we built a wave, we tried to support it with a certain amount of species that we knew would sell more- which is why we ran a bit short on sectoids. The humans were harder to create archetypes for, but more kids seemed interested in them than the other species. I think the waves would have gotten more diverse as time moved on and we proved that robots, bugs and monsters had as much, if not more interest from kids.

So much of what we did was theoretical, which is why it felt so fresh. There we no pre-existing patterns from any other line. Most people don’t see the connection, but Xevoz was much closer to Masters of the Universe than any other toy line in history. We were just about creating your own cool and crazy characters.

38. Revenant says:

By “robots, bugs and monsters”, I’m guessing you mean the more sinister races.
    What decision process did a figure’s design go through before it was finished? Once the core theme of a character was chosen, a vampire for example, how was the look and feel of that character decided upon – such as the decision to make the vampire a twisted, inhuman creature to the more humanoid and caped look of Dracula? How many perliminary sketches or whatnot were done to nail the desired feel of the figure, or to find certain details such as the battle damaged ear on the Blood Fang head, the recurring ‘V’ shapes throughout the figure, or the articulated talons and ponytail?
    Also, how was the amount or size of the figure’s parts determined, wether it would have some reused parts or all new parts, and the type of kit the figure would be in(Basic, Deluxe, Two-pack, etc.)? I know these are a lot of questions but I’m really interested.

39. Squishee Slinger says:

There’s a new Xevoz dedicated website where the owner swears he’s in negotiations with Hasbro to bring back the toy line. He’s told me he’s been in contact with the original designers to have a hand in bringing back.

40. Quiller-Bee says:

If you don’t mind me asking, where can we find the website? I’d like to check it out.

41. MrMunkeepants says:

what was your favorite figure?
    did you have a favorite combination of stock pieces made into a new figure (what fans call a “kitbash”)?

• KidMechano says:

I have a lot of favorites. You tend to love all your ‘kids’ for different reasons. Our last wave that never hit the shelf had the Mechshell- the steampunk inventor turtle and the Scarabushi- Sectoid Samurai/storm trooper.
      Frankenpunker and Rockahuna are high on my list. We were working on a centaur at the very end that would have been amazing. I think most of my favorite parts are either hyper fury or unnatural parts. I like creepy and energy colors and textures mixed together. I’ve been playing around with some Xevoz compatible parts for a side project called ModiBot. designing them myself (although I’m no wiz at Rhino) and having them printed at Shapeways. You can see a bit of my process at ModiBot.com. Although its not quite the xevoz build system I built a version that holds xevoz parts. Keep thinking I’ll do more but haven’t had a chance to get back on board since new years or so.

Thx for the interest. Always fun to talk some xevoz.

42. Justin says:

It’s a shame such a unique toy line was ended. I really hope they make a comeback. I remember when they first came out, I bought Shadow Blade/Bone Cutter, Grim Skull, Razor Claw and Shock Berserker, since then until last year, I hadn’t paid attention. I got curious one day and searched xevoz and found wave 4…at HIGH PRICES and wondered what was up and thats when I learned it was discontinued [sadface] so since then, I tried my hardest to find new, or at least complete set [new or loose] and at the moment, I have all except Storm Wing and Crypt Curse, with doubles of Razor [first one broke] Iron Spectre and Franken Punker. A lot of money went to these mastrpieces, but in a few years, they’ll look terrific in my studio. ^_^ My fave HAS to be Infil-Traitor, followed by Cryo Katana, Shield Breaker and Hemo Goblin.

Whoever this guy is who’s trying to revive the line, godspeed to you, good sir!

• KidMechano says:

Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Obviously, we’d love to see the concept back in the market. I’ve heard about the other company looking to bring them back. My fingers are crossed.

Sound like you’ve got a good amount of the figs. Its getting harder to find them unopened.

• Scorpio says:

Please, bring Xevos back! It was one of the greatest lines ever. Unfortunately, they’re extraordinarily rare and it’s ultra-competitive (the only ones I’ve found were on eBay, and I was outbid on all of the ones I wanted just an hour before this writing). I’m absolutely devastated right now.

Maybe place less emphasis on the game and more on the figures themselves.

43. FiremarshalBill says:

I always wondered what happened to this. It sucks that it’s gone. I so miss making my own figurine and actually making something I like. Wish one day someone will come back with this.

44. Scorpio says:

Ok, a few questions for you guys:

1) What exactly would it take to bring back Xevoz?

2) Which of the 12 original races were you eventually going to include, and which were outright scrapped?

3) Would you take fan suggestions for future Xevoz?

45. Harrison Kim says:

This may have been a little late, but i’m here to pay my respects to Xevoz. Mine were finally put to rest after having recovered all the species stickers and corresponding battle case. I shall never forget having asked for two christmases in a row for cryo-katana and Storm wing and just getting friggin’ dune stingers over and over instead. and Iron Spectre? Bad. Ass. oh- and if you have happened to have read this-
    there were these oieces on Hemo Goblin that i could never find out about. they had two sockets right next to each other and were purple and they could hold all the accessories i owned and i could never figure out what the heck they went to on him. Oh, and they also looked like they could be used like feet. god, those pieces annoyed me with what i was supposed to do with them.
    Thanks,
    Harrison

46. max powers says:

did you know of any compatible with Xevoz parts?